Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 757-395-4017

Do I have the right to petition the court for custody of or visitation with my grandchild?


While there is no common law grandparent’s rights, the Court may award custody or visitation to a person with a legitimate interest upon a showing of clear and convincing evidence that the best interests of the child would be served. Virginia law has defined a person with a legitimate interest as “broadly construed, and includes, but is not limited to grandparents, stepparents, former stepparents, blood relatives and family members.”


An outstanding job on my case to have custody, visitation and support decided in my home state instead of Virginia after I separated from military service.- A.E.